Zaatar Serving Suggestions
Zaatar is the bitter herbs eaten by the Israelites on their flight from Egypt. Zaatar is the Arabic term for thyme and the generic term for a spice blend of thyme, sumac (generally unavailable in the United States), toasted sesame seeds and salt.
- Add olive oil to Jemila Zaatar and mix to a paste-like consistency.
- Spread Jemila Zaatar on any flat bread and toast.
- Crumble feta cheese, top with Jemila Zaatar, and pinch with pita bread.
- Spread Jemila Zaatar on a pizza shell, top with sliced tomatoes and crumbled blue cheese.
- For an exquisite appetizer, spread Jemila Zaatar on gyro bread, add goat cheese, roasted red peppers and rock shrimp.
- Sprinkle dry Jemila Zaatar on eggs.
- Sprinkle dry Jemila Zaatar on a tossed salad, it’s a whole new experience!